Palace of Fine Arts,San Francisco, California, USA
L9570743Lm.jpg


Palace of Fine Arts,San Francisco, California, USA
L9570745Lm.jpg


Palace of Fine Arts,San Francisco, California, USA

The last remaining relic of San Francisco's glittering 1915 Panama Pacific Exposition 

In 1906, San Francisco was rocked by an earthquake, then nearly destroyed by fires which burned most of the financial district, downtown, civic center, and south of Market areas to the ground.

Over the course of the next six years, San Francisco rose from the ashes, building new land out of the debris — now known as the Marina or Cow Hollow — and were ready to face the world victorious in 1915. On February 20th, hosted on grounds created from earthquake rubble, the Panama Pacific Expedition opened to celebrate not only the rise of the city, but the completion of the Panama Canal.

The Pan-Pacific Exposition, as it came to be called, was a triumph of temporary design, with gardens and fountains and massive classically-inspired buildings rising on the waterfront. The magnificent centerpiece of the exposition was known as the "Tower of Jewels" which glittered over the crowds from a height of 435 feet.  Exhibits included all manner of arts and technology, from a telephone that could call New York City and a historic steam locomotive from the city's early days of rail, to a model of the Panama Canal. Read more ...